An interactive vizualization of station connection data, representing both were each ride began and ended.
An interactive map of the home zipcodes of SF Bay Area BikeShare users, along with additional statistics.
An overview of other Bay Area cycling resources, including BikeLink lockers and commercial bike rental options.
Crowdsourced heat map of suggested new locations to serve San Francisco, based on thousands of recommendations.
How to use the system, including pricing information, and what to avoid. A one-day pass starts at $9.
Mouse over each station to see how many rides begin there, and where those trips ended.
Interesting facts from the SF Bay Area BikeShare 2015 data set.
Number of trips
Avg distance (feet)
Avg duration (seconds)
Number of bikes
Nearly 80% of riders purchase an annual subscription ($88). The remaining 20% purchase a 24-hour ($9) or 3-day pass ($22).
About 50% of the current kiosks are located in San Francisco. Yet, the City makes up for 90% of regional usage.
Usage increased by 7.3% from 2014 to 2015, during a time of no significant changes to the level of service, or number of bikes.
Overall usage drops by 52% on the weekends. Tourists and occasional riders are then on par with yearly subscribers.
The most common ride duration is 5 to 10 minutes. 96% of rides last less then 30 minutes--the point when over-charges apply.
Typical rider? San Francisco user who commutes via CalTrain, when it isn't raining, and rides for 10 minutes at a time.
A system expansion of the original 700 bike launched in the Fall of 2013, to over 7,000 bikes, is currently underway. The new bikes and stations are expected to be in place by the end of 2017. In addition to signifcantly increasing in SF, the system is launching for the first time in Berkeley, Oakland, and Emeryville.
Next public hearing:
Monday, July 25, 2016, at 6pm.
African American Art + Culture Complex
762 Fulton St, San Francisco
It's my hope that this app will contribute to awareness of this fantastic resource. I’m excited by the growth of cycling infrastructure, such has separated bikeways, BikeLink lockers, and this growing regional BikeShare program.
If you find a full station, insert your key at the kiosk and tap "Full Station" for an extra 15 minutes of riding time.